Sunday, April 1, 2012

Race Report - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler

First off, I want to apologize because the last two weeks since Rock 'n Roll have been VERY busy.  Not only have I been busy at work and trying to keep up with my running, I also had a family member pass away and had to leave the state for a few days.  Although what happened was sudden and incredibly tragic, it gave me a chance to rejuvenate and spend time with family members that I had not seen in a long time.  When I came back last week it was back to the grind stone at work and trying to get my miles in.  This past week I ended up running in the mornings with my school's Girls on the Run Program and another running program we offer students.  On top of that, I also ran/worked out each afternoon.  Needless to say, I was too tired to type.

Anyway, onto Cherry Blossom 10 miler this morning...I have to say waking up this morning at 4:15 came way to soon.  I had worked 12 hours yesterday and was so tried after sleeping only 5 hours.  The only thing I could think of as I headed to the metro was my bed.  I met Brooke and Jeff, my running friends, at the metro and headed down to DC.  Brooke and I chatted about our last race (Rock 'n Roll 1/2 Marathon) and the fact that we hated all of the pictures that were taken of us.  We were both very relaxed about Cherry Blossom because we had just had the half 2 weeks earlier so we were just going to take everything in stride.  Of course, we wanted to do well, but we weren't stressing about it like we were 2 weeks ago.  This race was more about having a nice run.  When we got off the metro it was dark and cold, it felt about 10 degrees colder in DC than it was in VA.

Brooke and I as we got off the metro

Before the race we relaxed/shivered with some of the other runners from the Potomac River Running Training Group.  Finally, it was time to check our bags and head to the start line.  Brooke, Jeff, and I headed up to the start and ran into my friends Brigid and Morgan.  Brigid is training for a Half Ironman and had biked 30 miles and ran 4 yesterday, her plan was to run the last 5 miles, so Morgan joined us in the coral.  The wave start seemed to go smoothly, although there was a lot of time in-between each wave.  Once we got started, the race was crowded (which we knew), but we were determined to keep a steady pace.

The first few miles seemed to fly by.  Brooke and I ran one behind one another so we could easily weave in and out of the crowd.  Around mile 3 we saw a photographer and gave a great, big smile and a wave.  We were hoping to get better pictures this time around.  Although the miles flew by, we were both very quiet.  We were taking in the scenery and enjoying the race.  It was wonderful.  All of a sudden we noticed (although we didn't mention it to each other at the time) two runners who jumped out of the race and raced each other up some stairs that were to the left side of the course.  They looked like they were having a great time!  Everyone was enjoying the race, smiles on their faces, feeling strong, and getting into the swing of things.  Then came the bridge on Independence Avenue that crossed over the Tidal Basin.

Right before mile 5 we crossed over this bridge, the race still fairly crowed, and heard a runner say, "Thanks Sweetie!" to another runner.  The second runner, frustrated because she felt like she had been cut off, yelled, "Don't call me Sweetie!"  The first runner replied, "I'm sorry, I call a lot of people that, I didn't mean to insult you!"  To which the second runner again expressed her anger.  Brooke and I were appalled!  We were running a race, having a nice time, do we really have to have tension between us?  The course is crowded, you may accidentally bump another runner...GET. OVER. IT.

We continued on with the situation in the back of our heads, but were focused on how well we were running.  As we ran around Hains Point, just after mile 7, there was another confrontation.  This time between a man and a woman.  The man was older, and the woman cut him off.  Words were exchanged between the two, I wish I could remember the exact conversation, but it ended very harshly.  As the woman continued to run past the older man, she yelled at him, "Maybe if I tripped you and you fell, your bad attitude would be improved."  Again, Brooke and I had no idea how to handle this.  I know that neither of us would have ever talked to someone like that.  In fact, most runners would not talk to each other like that.  This is a positive community that we are involved with and we support each other...or at least we should!  It is unfortunate, when a few people make comments that bring down the positive aura of a great race.  Either way, we did not let it get us down.  We felt great and we were pushing it to the finish!

As we rounded the corner and headed up the hill in the last 400 meters of the race, Brooke took off up the hill (she is a fantastic hill runner!) and headed to the finish line, where I met her a few second behind.  We both agreed that this was such a great race!  It was well organized, great course, and we ran it strong and proud.  

Post race picture

Now instead of looking forward to going back to sleep, we wanted food!  Of course, we continued to take a few more pictures (we're still looking for the best race day photo) and then walked around to meet up with Jeff who had finished before us.  As we walked around, we first tried to talk the volunteers into giving us medals (you had to pay for them), with no luck, and then we ran into some other running friends, Dora and her husband Michiel.
Picture with Dora

Picture with Michiel

Finally, we met up with Jeff and were headed back to the metro and then to grab some food.  Without a doubt, the metro was packed, but the three of us were talking and one thing lead to another and we brought up the rudeness of some of the runners.  I was just about tell Jeff about the second incident when the train stopped to let some people out, so I sat down.  There were two people sitting right by me and Brooke recognized them as the two runners who had raced up the stairs.  The four of us had a good laugh about the odds of that.  The woman then commented about how she was surprised that we remembered her from that, cause she had really made a scene on the course with another runner.  Brooke and I looked at each other thinking, surely this is not the same runner that had raised her voice and we had witnessed it.  What were the odds of that???  Well, sure enough it was.  

The VERY upset runner around mile 7, now on the metro

She indeed was the runner who had basically told an older man that she wished she had tripped him.  Based on the continued conversation, it is clear that some runners get wrapped up in the race and forget about others around them.  They couple seemed nice, and in fact, they gave me an extra medal that they had taken.  The man even let Brooke take a picture with his medal!  We continued to talk and I found out that the woman was a former equestrian like me!  When we finally got to our metro stop we headed right over to grab lunch and relax.  

With our medals

I would have to say that this was a great race.  Everything went so well and looking back I have to say it was because I took the pressure off myself.  From the beginning to the end, I just ran.  I enjoyed every step and it showed in my attitude, my consistency, and my time.  It's ok to push in training because then you don't have to push come race time.  The training has already been done, take the pressure off and have fun!  I say that now, but will I follow my own advice???  The next race will only tell!

Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Breakdown:
Mile 1 - 9:27
Mile 2 - 9:02
Mile 3 - 8:59
Mile 4 - 8:59
Mile 5 - 9:13
Mile 6 - 9:15
Mile 7 - 9:27
Mile 8 - 9:32
Mile 9 - 9:29
Mile 10 - 9:20
Mile 11 (0.07) - 0:35
Time - 1:33:18 (A NEW 10 MILE PR BY OVER 2 MINS!!!!)
Average Pace - 9:16


1 comment:

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

Yayyy Megan! Awesome PR! I'm so glad that you and Brooke had a great time together, too. Craziness about those conversations you witnessed - yikes. And how wild that you then met her on the metro! So crazy.