Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom!

I have realized in the past few weeks that I am really bad about blogging.  It isn't that I don't want to blog, it's just that I am really busy.  Since April 3rd (the last time I posted anything) I have:

  • Joined another running group (VA Runners) that meets on Wednesday night for a 5 mile fun run.  They are a great group of people and I am really enjoying running with them!
  • Ran to DC to do Yoga on the Mall (I am NOT a yoga person), but it was fantastic!
  • Had my sister from Germany visit for 8 days
  • Ran Crystal City 5k and got a new PR of 26:36
  • Ran 37.7 miles in a week (max I think I've ever done)
  • Begun doing tempo runs and, wow, they are hard, but I have been pushing myself and I already see improvement!
  • Ran GW Parkway 10 miler and got a new PR of 1:32:27 on what would have been my mom's 66th birthday
That's a lot of things on top of working full time during the week and part time on the weekends.  I am trying to blog, but sometimes, time gets the best of me.  So today after my race I have been able to have some time to myself (which is rare) and I am loving it!

Today is my mom's birthday.  She would have been 66, but she died 12 years ago when she was 54.  I was only 18 and I took it really hard.  My mom was my best friend and to loose her when I was just out of high school was the hardest thing I have ever had to go through.  Many times, as I run, I think of her.  So when I saw that the GW Parkway 10 miler was on her birthday I felt like the best way to represent her was to run for her.  I asked my dad make a shirt so others knew why I was running:


I wore this shirt today with pride.  My mom was my world and I think about her everyday.  It never is easy when you lose a parent, you just learn to move forward, but never forget.  There are so many times in my life that I wish my mom was with me.  It doesn't matter if I need a shopping partner, a shoulder to cry on, someone to tell me they're proud of the person I have grown into, a future grandmother, the person to one day help me pick out my wedding dress, to give me advice when I need it the most, or whatever the situation, there are times everyone needs a mom.  As I ran the 10 miles of the race today, I didn't think about time or distance or speed, I thought about the person who shaped me for many years.  It made a strong, proud, and ready to conquer whatever was in my way.  It even helped me PR!

After the race I met up with Jessica (Pace of Me), my stepsister, and she told me that my mom would have been proud of me for how far I've come with my running.  She's right.  My mom would be proud and I am going to take each day to remind myself of that.  No matter what I am doing my mom would be proud and even though she's not physically with me, she now has the best seat in the house for everything in my life so I better put on a good show!
Jess and I after GW Parkway 10 Miler

The other day,one of my other stepsisters, Jodi asked me why I run.  I realized, while I told her and tears filled my eyes, that a huge part of the reason I run is for my mom.  I run so I can be healthy, so I will be able to live a long, healthy life for my husband and children (whenever those things may happen), so I feel full inside, and to make sure that I always have something I am working towards.  My mom died from a torn aorta and heart disease is something that runs in my family.  The one thing that I can do to help prevent that from happening to myself is to strengthen my heart through running.  But I want to help others as well.  

When I got home from the race today I made a decision to raise money in her name for the American Heart Association by running and fundraising for Lawyers Have Heart 10k on June 9th (Donate Here).  I am not someone who asks for money for my runs, in fact, I really feel bad about it.  So please don't feel like you have to donate, but if you would like to, I would love the support.  I want to send a huge THANK YOU out to Jessica and Elizabeth who have already donated.  Your donations mean the world to me.  With your help maybe someone else will be able to spend that extra needed time with their mom through their own life events, big and small.

One of my favorite pictures of my mom

Another great picture of my mom

I made my day all about my mom and that makes me so happy.  Today is her day and always will be.  Of course, I wish she was here, but the next best thing is the memories that I have of her.  So take a minute to think about what makes your mom special to you and don't forget to let her know, it will mean more than you know.  Be grateful for what you have because one day it will be a memory.  Happy birthday Mom!  I love you!

My mom with me when I was born





2 comments:

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

Oh Megan this is a beautiful tribute to your mother and a lovely reflection of her life and what she means to you. It made me cry! I love what you say about cherishing the ones we love and the memories we have of our time with them. Life is so precious. Thanks for being you and for sharing this with us! xxoo

Margaret S said...

Hugs! Love you friend and I am so proud of you! This is a beautiful tribute to your mom!