Monday, February 20, 2012

A Much Needed Run

If you read my post from last night, you can tell that I am in a place in my life where I am figuring things out.  This morning I woke and just wanted to run.  No pressure, just run.  I have been putting a lot of pressure on myself recently and it has become a little unhealthy.  I wanted to run on trail that I have missed because it is out of my way, but I am really glad I made the hike.  This morning, I made the trek to Roosevelt Island where I jumped on the Mount Vernon Trail.

I have run this trail once before, over 2 years ago, but I remembered that it was peaceful and had a great view of Washington from across the Potomac River.  The only goal I had was to run for 30 mins and then turn around and run back.  As I began at Roosevelt Island I focused on just one foot in front of the other.  I felt strong.  As I ran, I looked over to left and saw Washington, it was a beautiful site on a beautiful day.


Views of Washington from the Mount Vernon Trail

Then as I looked over to my right, I realized something.  I was running near Arlington National Cemetery and also the finish line to Marine Corps Marathon.  These 2 places reminded me that there are so many things that I should be thankful for.  I need to remember that millions of people have fought for our freedom and have allowed me to be able to run every day and have helped me fulfill many of my goals without even realizing it.  It gave me a new perspective.  Why was I getting upset because I wasn't making my goal every time out?  It is so stupid, there is no reason why I should be getting upset.  The big picture is much more important.  As I continued to run, I was feeling great!  I ran to Reagan National Airport in 30 mins where I turned around and started heading back.  


Reagan National Airport - Turnaround Point

My last 30 mins I felt so strong.  It was the best run I had ever had.  I know to get to where I need to be it will take more than one run, but this is definitely a great starting point.  I ended up running 6.5 miles averaging a 9:28 mile.  I wasn't thinking about my run and I ran great.  This is what running is all about.


No comments: