Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Treadmill Thoughts

Running for an hour on the treadmill can sometimes feel like an eternity...not today.  Today as I looked around the gym I didn't get lost in my own thoughts, in fact I couldn't stop thinking about everyone around me.  There were a lot of interesting people at the gym tonight.  We have all seen these people, you know the ones, they go to the gym, but they don't work out.  You would think that on the 11th of January you would still have the people that are committed to their New Years resolutions, clearly I am wrong.  Don't get me wrong, I support people that go to the gym and actually work out.  It's the people that take up my oxygen that drive me crazy.  Tonight I saw:

  • Women with more make-up on than Lady Gaga before she goes on stage...you are at the gym, if you are truly working out, you'll be a mess with all that on your face by the time it's over
  • A man sitting on the stationary bike watching TV, yes, just watching TV, no leg movement what-so-ever
  • A couple that stretched for 15 mins ON the two treadmills in front of me...it's January, there's practically a line for the treadmills...come on people!
  • A woman who had on such a low cut shirt she couldn't even wear a bra...no bra to the gym...that's not gonna work!
  • A handful of women that gone to the salon to get their hair done minutes before stepping foot into the building...if your hair looks just as good on the way out as it did on the way in...you probably aren't working out
  • Many, many people that decided to head to the gym to waste time because if you don't sweat, you probably aren't burning calories
  • A woman reading the latest about Katy Perry while running a 10 min mile...is that even possible???  I've never been able to achieve it
  • A woman who changed machines every 3 minutes...I think she may have been Goldilocks
  • A man who thought he had a 6 pack and decided to show it off by taking off his shirt...he should have though about that one for a few minutes longer
This all being said, it was quite an interesting night at the gym.  Again, I support all those people who are really working at the gym, but it seemed like tonight there were an overwhelming number of people who were more worried about socializing and how they looked then the actual workout part of the night...not a sermon, just a thought!


No comments: