Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Running and Illness

Sometimes we come across hurdles while we are training and have goals in mind.  My current hurdle???  Strep throat.  I woke up a few days ago feeling like I was fighting a cold so I kept taking vitamin C and echinacea in hopes that it would fight off anything I was catching.  No such luck.  Yesterday, I felt HORRIBLE, but had to pull through for a big presentation at work.  This morning, after I was unable to swallow and my throat felt like I had sandpaper surrounding it, I decided to head to the doctor.  He told me that it was strep (which I figured), gave me a Z pack and sent me on my way.  After just two doses, I am already feeling better so tomorrow it is back to the normal routine.  Even if I don't feel 100%, I want to at least push myself to see what I can do.  I haven't run since Saturday and am starting to feel a little out of sorts.  It has been a long time since 3 days have gone by without a run.

It's hard for me to give myself a break especially since I have my goal of at least 20 miles a week for 2012. I have to keep reminding myself that without this break I could be feeling a lot worse.  As runners, we feel like if we give ourselves a break to take care of our body we are taking a step back.  We have to get our heads in the right place to understand that if we don't give ourselves a break, we could actually be doing more damage.  It doesn't matter if it is a illness or an injury, sometimes we just need a break.  Hopefully tomorrow will go well, but I know I won't go overboard with training, just an easy run to see how my body is feeling.

1 comment:

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

feel better sweet sister! I totally hear you on this - it is hard to accept that REST is what we need sometimes, and to remember that we make our biggest gains in the recovery after a hard workout. you were smart to listen to your body and take some rest, and not push through feeling so awful.