Saturday, September 17, 2011

2 Amazing Long Runs!

It has been some time since I have written and my last run that I wrote about was so tough for me, but I have learned so much from it.  Two weeks ago I wrote about what I learned and now I have proven mentally and physically that I have learned so much from my last race.

Last weekend I did my long run (14 miles) on September 11.  The 10 year anniversary of the day our world changed.  Although I did not know anyone directly that was effected by those terrorist attacks, it is still a very emotionally day for me.  Because of this, I wanted to watch the ceremonies on TV, which meant I ran 14 miles on a treadmill.  Two hours and twenty minutes on a treadmill.  It may seem like a long time, but with every step I took I thought about all the people that risked their lives for other people that they did not even know.  It was about two hours and twenty minutes from when first plane hit to when the second tower fell.  In the time it took me to run 14 miles, almost 3,000 innocent people died.  It really made me think how the lives of all their loved ones changed.  No matter how much pain I endured in that run, it was nothing compared to all of those amazing people.

As I ran, I listened to the stories, especially those of the children.  One young man, now 21, explained that the day his father died his brother had just turned 2.  He made a promise to himself that day that he would teach his brother everything his dad had taught him.  He taught him to throw a baseball, to read a book, to excel in school, basically everything a parent does.  He still felt sadness though because he still wanted and needed his dad.  He wanted his dad to teach him to drive a car, to congratulate him when he made it in to college, and even teach him how to ask out a girl.  As I heard this I felt tears rolling down my cheeks because I related to him.  It was a surreal feeling.

I had no idea who this man was, but I could relate because I felt like my mom left me too soon as well.  There are things I still want and need from her everyday.  I hope I make her proud, I ask myself if my life has turned out the way she would have wanted for me, I wish she was there to watch me graduate, would she have helped me each time I need a shoulder to cry on, or even just a friendly phone conversation every once in a while.  I realized that's why September 11 is emotional for me.  It brings back feelings and thoughts that are hard to cope with, just as it does for those who were effected.  It's so hard to put into words what that run meant, but I know that two hours and twenty minutes of what some would call self-induced pain, is nothing compared to the feelings that are brought up each year when a new anniversary rolls around.

My mom and I, 1982

As emotional as last week's run was, today's run was similar, but in a more upbeat way.  I ran the longest I have ever run, I was stronger than ever, and with each step I took I knew I had it in me to run farther.  Today I wore this shirt:


I really thought about this as I ran because it is true...slow and steady does win the race.  It was perfect!  I ran a very consistent 20 miles and feel so good about each mile.  I had Jodi, Amy, Melissa, and Tammy along with me to make my longest and most favorite run, a fantastic memory!

Here's the break down:
Mile 1 - 10:22
Mile 2 - 12:20
Mile 3 - 10:01
Mile 4 - 10:02
Mile 5 - 10:25
Mile 6 - 10:21
Mile 7 - 10:24
Mile 8 - 10:28
Mile 9 - 10:20
Mile 10 - 10:16
Mile 11 - 10:20
Mile 12 - 10:07
Mile 13 - 10:01
Mile 14 - 10:14
Mile 15 - 10:52
Mile 16 - 10:51
Mile 17 - 10:36
Mile 18 - 10:42
Mile 19 - 10:24
Mile 20 - 10:56

Total Time - 3:28:12
Average Pace - 10:24

I am so proud of all 5 of us.  We all ran great, felt great, and did an amazing job of supporting each other!  I am so proud to call these women my friends and sister!

Melissa, Jodi, Amy and I after our fantastic run!

No comments: